The thyroid is one of the common health problems across the globe. In India, approximately 42 million peoples are suffering from thyroid. Women are 3-10 times more prone to thyroid disorder than men. Thyroid disorder affects the thyroid gland. It is primarily of two types –Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism.
Hypothyroidism is a condition when a person’s thyroid hormone production is below normal. On the other hand, Hyperthyroidism refers to the state when thyroid production is above normal production.
In order to bring back, the thyroid hormone production to the normal Doctors advises Thyronorm. It replaces the hormone which is not produced by the thyroid gland in the sufficient quantity and helps the body to regulate metabolism and energy.
Composition: Levo-Thyroxine (Synthetic)
Manufacturer: Abbott India Ltd.
Variations: 12.5mcg, 25mcg, 50mcg, 62.5 mcg, 75 mcg, 88 mcg, 100 mcg, 112 mcg, 125mcg, 137mcg and 150mcg.
Type: Medicine for Hypothyroidism
Table of Contents
- Eltroxin Tablet- By GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Thyobuild Tablet- By Torrent Pharmaceuticals Ltd.
- Thyrotop Tablet- By Micro Labs Ltd.
- Thyroup Tablet – By Lupin Ltd.
Thyronorm Tablet Uses
Thyronorm is consumed to treat the following health problems:
- Hypothyroidism: Thyronorm helps to cure Hypothyroidism. It is a condition when the thyroid gland stops producing the thyroid hormone as needed by the body to function well. The medicine helps to produce the hormone as required.
- Thyroid Cancer: Doctors may also suggest Thyrornorm tablet for treating Thyroid cancer. It is used during surgery and radioiodine therapy. It also prevents and treats the goiter-enlarged thyroid gland, which is also associated with radiation therapy and thyroid.
- Myxedema Coma: This health condition is a severe form of hypothyroidism. It can be cured with Thyronorm. Some of the symptoms of Myxedema Coma are poor metabolism, altered mental state, etc.
You might also like: Dashmularishta: Uses, Benefits, Dosage and FAQs
Thyronorm Tablet Dosage
- Consult your doctor for the exact dosage. Thyronorm tablet is available on various variations starting from 12. 5 mcg to 150 mcg. The dose depends on the condition of the patients.
- After consulting the doctor, consume the tablet (or as directed by the doctor) in the morning on an empty stomach. Make sure there is a gap of 1 hour between medicine and breakfast.
- Do not chew the tablet and consume it with the water.
- If you consume over doze, consult your doctor immediately.
Thyrornorm Tablet Side effects
Some of the common side effects of Thyronorm are the following:
- Shaking of arms and feet.
- Vomiting and nausea
- Abdominal cramps
- Muscle cramps
- Temporary hair loss
- Excessive sweating
- Irregular menstruation
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Weight loss
- Muscle cramps
- Thyrotoxic crisis
- Rapid or irregular heartbeat
- Chest pain and discomfort
Warnings and Precautions Related to Thyronorm Tablet
There are certain precautions that one should follow while consuming the Thyronorm tablet.
- Do not consume Thyronorm tablet with alcohol. It may contribute to severe health problems.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding must consult their doctor before consuming the medicine.
- People with liver and liver and kidney problems must follow caution as suggested by their doctor while consuming the medicine. If the dose is consumed more than prescribed, it may lead to severe problems that could deteriorate the health condition.
- Patients who have thyroid nodules ad advice to follow extreme cautions while administering Thyronorm tablet. Stop consuming the tablet in case the TSH level has surpassed as required.
- Women should avoid consuming Thyronorm tablets post-menopause if she has health problems like diabetes, heart problems, or any systematic illness. Consuming this medicine for long can decrease bone mineral density, which may lead to weakness in bones.
- People with the problem of infertility should avoid consuming Thyrornorm, and it could reduce the thyroid level.
- Elderly patients must consume Thyronorm with caution as they are more prone to side effects.
- Patients with medical problems like cholesterol, heart problems, hypertension, problems in pituitary glands, and other health problems must consult their doctors before starting the dosage.
Interactions of Thyronom Tablet with other Drugs
It is also was wide to take Thyrornom tablet under the supervision of the doctor. You will be at more risk of side effects if you are consuming following drugs with Thyrornorm Tablet:
- Ethinyl Estradiol
- Insulin and other anti-diabetic medicines
- Antacids containing calcium/magnesium/Aluminium
Interactions of Thyrornorm with Diseases
Avoid Thyronorm in case you are suffering from following health problems to avoid any type of reaction:
- Adrenal Failure
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Heart-related problems
- Problems with cholesterol
- Myocardial Infarction
- Disturbed functioning of the pituitary glands
- Underactive or overactive thyroid
Thyronorm is a drug that is advised by the doctor to cure Hypothyroidism. It is available in different variations. Do consult your doctor before starting the dosage.
Thyronorm is consumed to cure hypothyroidism and helps in the production of thyroid hormone.
Thyroxine is the substitute of the Thyronorm. However, one should consult a doctor before substituting medicine.
Yes, Thyronorm is safe if taken under the supervision of the doctor.
The absorption of levothyroxine in the gut is reduced while consuming the medicine along with other nutrients like calcium, iron present in the drugs; thus, it should be consumed on an empty stomach preferably before 30-60 minutes from breakfast.