Disodium Hydrogen Citrate is a salt of citric acid. It is one of the antioxidants that come handy for regulating acidity. It is also called Disodium Citrate and is mainly an alkalizer. It is used to treat urine related problems. It helps to restore the PH level of the urine and body. The medicine is readily available at all the chemist shops. However, you would need a prescription for the same. Read more to know about Disodium Hydrogen Citrate uses, side effects, and what all precautions one must take.
Composition: It is an acid salt of citric acid with chemical formula -Na2C6H6O7
Manufacturer: Arlak Biotech Private Limited
Medicine Type: Urinary Alkalizer
Prescription Required: Yes
Price: Rs. 59 for 100 ML.
Variants: Tablet and Syrup
Substitutes: Citralka Liquid 100 ML, Oricitral Syrup 100ml, Cytal Syrup 100 ml, Alkarate Liquid 100ml and Alkel Liquid 100ml
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Syrup Uses
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate is primarily used to treat urine infection. It reduces the acid level of the urine. Urine with less acid encourages the kidney to get rid of the uric acid that further prevents serious health problems like kidney stones. The syrup can also help to treat many metabolic problems that result from kidney disease. Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Syrup restores the normal pH of urine and is prescribed to treat the following health problems.
1. Kidney Stones
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate is prescribed to treat kidney stones. It dissolves the stones and prevents severe other kidney problems like renal tubular acidosis that is caused when the kidneys are not able to remove acid in urine.
2. Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate is known to be urine alkaliser. It prevents bacterial growth and helps to relives discomfort caused due to UTI.
This medicine is ideal for treating pain that is caused during urination.
4. Urine Alkalinization
This medicine also comes handy for treating urine alkalization that helps to remove toxic substances from kidneys.
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Syrup Dosage and Usage
The medicine is prescribed in the following doses:
Adults: 15 to 30 ml a day (2-3 times a day)
Children: 5 ml a day
- The syrup should be mixed with 4 ounces of water or juice before consuming it. Store the mixture in the refrigerator before consuming it.
- The medicine should be taken as prescribed by the doctor. The patient should not increase or reduce the dosage of the medicine without consulting the doctor. Also, it should be taken orally after the food to prevent gastric disorder.
- The dosage of the medicine would depend on the severity of the condition and other health conditions that include BMI of the person, age, and other health problems.
- If you ever tend to miss the dose, take it as soon as you remember. However, do not take the dose if it is a time for the next dose.
- One should not increase the dose of the medicine without referring to the doctor; otherwise, it might lead to serious health problems; however, if you consume extra dose, then consult your doctor as soon as possible or before the side effects of the same triggers.
How Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Works?
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate is alkaline in nature. It neutralizes the access acid present in the urine and blood. It prevents the growth of the bacteria in the urinary tract and thus, prevents urinary tract infection.
Side Effects of Disodium Hydrogen Citrate
The medicine should be taken as advised by the doctor. Otherwise, you might suffer minor health problems. Though there is no severe side effect of the medicine, but one should take all the necessary precautions. Following are a few health problems that one could suffer due to Disodium Hydrogen Citrate:
- Cramps in stomach
- Frequent urination
- Unpleasant taste
- Mood Swings
- Imbalance level of potassium in the blood.
- Skin rashes
Precautions and Warning Related Disodium Hydrogen Citrate
While consulting the one should inform the doctor about his/her medical conditions, other medicines that he has been consuming, and other factors like age and BMI to prescribe the ideal dosage. One should take the following precautions while taking Disodium Hydrogen Citrate:
- Patients with hypersensitivity should avoid this medicine.
- Patients suffering from a heart problem, dehydration or Diuresis should use the medicine cautiously.
- Patients with low potassium levels should avoid medicine as it could further reduce the potassium level.
- The medicine should not be taken with alcohol.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult their doctors before starting the dose.
- Disodium Hydrogen Citrate may interact negatively with antibiotics. Thus one should inform the doctor about the same to avoid any negative consequences.
How to Store Disodium Hydrogen Citrate?
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate should be stored in a dry and cool place. It should be kept away from kids and exposure from the sun. The packaging of medicine should not be changed.
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Interactions
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate should not be taken with the following medicines:
- Potassium-depleting Diuretics
Disodium Hydrogen Citrate Lab Interactions
The medicine might interact with kidney function tests as it can change the result of the test.
Disodium hydrogen citrate is Urinary Alkalizer. It helps to treat major health problems that include UTI and kidney infection. In order to use the medicine, one should have a prescription for the same. If consumed in access, one can have side effects that include tiredness, vomiting, nausea, and others. Also, pregnant women, lactating women, and people who have other health problems should inform their doctor about the same to avoid side effects. You can also read our latest blog on Dolo 650.
Disodium hydrogen citrate syrup is a Urinary Alkalizer. It reduces high levels of acid in the urine.
Cital syrup is used for the treatment of uric acid stones, alkalization, and urinary tract infection.
Sodium citrate has side effects that could result over doze or due to the negative interaction with other drugs and lab tests.
Cital liquid should be taken along with a glass of water or juice.