Lizard is one of the common reptiles that are found in homes. They are cold-blooded; this is the reason why they are visible in summers only. These pesky reptiles are not liked by anyone! Though they are not harmful to mankind, but they can give way to germs which further could lead to health problems. They generally like to live in the dark places and feed on the insect. If you are also looking answer for -how to get rid of lizards at home, then you are at right place. Here we have listed some of the easy ways and remedies to help you keep lizards away from home.
Table of Contents
Ways to Get Rid of Lizards at Home
1. Lemongrass Essential Oil or Tea Bags
One of the effective home remedies to get rid of lizards is lemongrass essential oil. It is an insect repellent and thus, would work in your favour. You can also use lemongrass itself or a lemongrass tea bag to shoo away this pesky reptile. It is easy to access and available at a reasonable price.
- Add lemongrass/essential oil or tea bags in a small bowl.
- Place it in your house.
- Replace it every day.
- The pungent smell of lemongrass will keep the lizard away from your home.
2. Concoction of Tabasco Sauce and Chilli Peppers
In order to get rid of house lizards, you can also use a combination of Tabasco sauce and chilli pepper. It will kill the reptile naturally. To your surprise, lizards are afraid of the strong scent of spices. Both Tabasco sauce and chilli peppers have a strong smell that can definitely get rid of lizards at home.
- Pour Tabasco Sauce along with Chilli Pepper in a spray bottle.
- Shake it well so that bot the ingredients gets mixed.
- Spray this mixture in every nook and corner of your home that Lizard visits.
Be careful while using these home remedies to prevent Lizard if you have pets and kids at home as it might harm them too.
3. Naphthalene Balls
Yes, we are talking about the same naphthalene balls that you use to protect your winter clothes. These balls have a peculiar smell that works as a lizard repellent. However, naphthalene balls or mothballs are poisonous, so make sure you keep them away from kids and pets. These remedy would also help you keep other small animals at bay.
- Place naphthalene balls in all the corners and places visited mainly by lizards, such as a bathroom, kitchen sinks, basements, storerooms etc.
4. Garlic and Onions
Another household staple that one can use to get rid of lizards naturally from home is a mixture of garlic and onions. Both the vegetables have a very strong smell that is not be resisted by insects and reptiles.
- Hang garlic cloves and slices of onions in your room, balcony and other places.
- The smell of these vegetables would keep them away.
Many might not know that birds are natural predators to lizards and, this is why eggshells will help you keep away lizards from home or car. Eggs are easily available and are affordable as well, so you can use them without any problem.
- After cooking omelette, wipe off the shells and let them dry for some time.
- Place them on all the odd areas where you frequently find lizards.
6. Coffee Powder
There could be nothing enticing than a freshly brewed coffee for humans. But same is not the case with lizards. For them, it is no less than poison as they do not like its smell.
- Place small bowls with coffee powder in all the nook and corners and around the wall.
- Replace them every other day.
While you might have heard about different ways to get rid of house lizard but have you ever heard of cold water? Yes, cold water can work as the lizard repellent. Lizard likes to live in a warm environment; this is why they are only visible in the summers. In order to keep them away from your home, you can use cold water.
- Spray cold water on a lizard.
- It will not let her move, and in the given time, you can catch the Lizard and dispose off.
8. Peacock Feathers
Peacocks are also believed to be natural predators to lizards. This is why it would naturally repel lizards, and they would not enter your room. Not only its feathers, but the smell of the feathers would also keep lizards away. This is one of the harmless remedies to get rid of lizards. All you would have to do is place peacock feathers in every room.
9. Flypaper Trap for Lizards
Like a mousetrap, there are lizard trap as well, which works effectively. Flypaper trap is generally used to get rid of flies, but you can use them to remove lizard as well.
- Stick the flypaper trap on the walls.
- Later you can catch the Lizard and dispose of it outside.
- Do not forget to wear hand gloves while
10. Pepper Spray
By now, we all know that lizards do not like the intense fragrance of spices. Thus, pepper spray would work effectively to keep them away. It will keep small and big lizards away from your home.
- In a spray bottle, add some spray and water.
- Shake it well, and then spray it where needed.
Alternatively, you can also use mosquito and fly killer spray, to keep away the lizards.
Tips to Keep Lizard Away from House
- Seal all the entry points.
- Do not leave leftover food and fruits.
- Make sure your home is well clean.
- Keep your room temperature low.
- Clean your cabinets under the sink regularly and keep them dry.
- Use magnetic insect screens on your windows to prevent the entry of lizards.
Lizards are uninvited guests that are found in most Indian households. They aren’t venomous. However, they leave germs behind. There are many easy ways that would help you to get rid of lizards. In this blog, we have curated some of the effective ways and home remedies that would help you to keep lizards away.
Yes, naphthalene or mothballs have a pungent smell that lizards cannot withstand, thus, it works well for keeping lizards away.
You can use home remedies like onion, garlic, coffee powder and others that are listed above in detail to get rid of small lizards.
Lizards hate the pungent smell of spices.
Naphthalene balls and mosquito repellent sprays are, to name a few best repellents for lizards.
Lizards like to live in the dark places such as behind furniture, AC, etc.
Lizards bite does not lead to any severe health problems. Also, it is not poisonous. But they spread germs which are not good for health.
There are several natural remedies such as paper spray, garlic, lemongrass essential oils that would kill lizards instantly.