Swami Vivekananda is one of the eminent personalities in Indian history. Vivekananda was a Hindu monk, born as Narendranath Datta. He introduced Indian philosophies, including Yoga and Vedanta, to the western countries. Moreover, he raised awareness about Hinduism across the globe in the 19th century. Swami Vivekananda also introduced the Ramakrishna Mission and the Ramakrishna Math. He has shared quotes on life, Love, and motivation in many languages like English, Hindi, and regional languages. Here we have listed some of the popular quotations by Swami Vivekananda that he has shared in his life pan.
He is best known for his speeches, words and quotations. In the year 1984, the Government of India decided to celebrate Swami Vivekananda’s birthday as a Youth Day every year on the 12th of January every year, owing to his contribution to youth development in the country.
Swami Vivekananda suffered from many health problems. However, he always believed in his motto ‘’One has to die…it is better to wear out than to rust out.” ‘His quotations are a life lesson for everybody.
Famous Swami Vivekananda Quotes in English
Swami Vivekananda is best known for his quotes and thoughts that have motivated people over the years. Let’s have a look at some of the famous quotes in English.
1. ‘’So long as there is desire or want, it is a sure sign that there is imperfection. A perfect, free being cannot have any desire.’’
2. ‘’I, for one, thoroughly believe that no power in the universe can withhold from anyone anything they really deserve.’’
3. ‘’The mind is but the subtle part of the body. You must retain great strength in your mind and words.’’
4. ‘’Every act of love brings happiness; there is no act of love which does not bring peace and blessedness as its reaction.’’
5. ‘’The moment I have realized God is sitting in the temple of every human body, the moment I stand in reverence before every human being and see God in him – that moment I am free from bondage, everything that binds vanishes, and I am free.’’
6. ‘’Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin; to say that you are weak, or others are weak.’’
7. “All power is within you; you can do anything and everything. Believe in that, do not believe that you are weak; do not believe that you are half-crazy lunatics, as most of us do nowadays. You can do anything and everything, without even the guidance of anyone. Stand up and express the divinity within you.”
8. “For a warrior, nothing is higher than a war against evil. The warrior confronted with such a war should be pleased, Arjuna, for it comes as an open gate to heaven. But if you do not participate in this battle against evil, you will incur sin, violating your dharma and your honor.”
9. “We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in the future can be produced by our present efforts, so we have to know how to act. ‘’
10. ‘’Each work has to pass through these stages—ridicule, opposition, and then acceptance. Those who think ahead of their time are sure to be misunderstood’’.
Inspirational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda
Throughout his life, Swami Vivekananda believed to motivate people through his works and saying. Here is the list of some of the inspirational quotations that were quoted by Swami Vivekananda.
- “The greatest religion is to be true to your nature. Have faith in yourselves.”
- “In a day, when you don’t come across any problems – you can be sure that you are traveling in a wrong path.”
- “Be the servant while leading. Be unselfish. Have infinite patience, and success is yours.”
- ‘’If faith in ourselves had been more extensively taught and practiced, I am sure a substantial portion of the evils and miseries that we have would have vanished’’.
- ‘’A man has attained immortality when he is no longer disturbed by anything material’’.
Best Swami Vivekananda Quotes on Life
Swami Vivekananda believed in making the best of life. He was vocal about his thoughts and ideas on life. Here we have compiled some of the best quotes shared by Vivekananda in his journey of life.
1. ‘’Take up one idea. Make that one idea your life – think of it, the dream of it, live on that idea. Let the brain, muscles, nerves, every part of your body, be full of that idea, and leave every other idea alone. This is the way to success.’’
2. ‘’Arise! Awake! And stop not until the goal is reached.’’
3. ‘’If money helps a man to do good to others, it is of some value; but if not, it is simply a mass of evil, and the sooner it is got rid of, the better.’’
4. ‘’Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.’’
5. ‘’May He, who is the Brahman of the Hindus, the Ahura-Mazda of the Zoroastrians, the Buddha of the Buddhists, the Jehovah of the Jews, the Father in Heaven of the Christians give strength to you to carry out your noble idea.’’
6. “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you; none can make you spiritual.’’
7. ‘’All power is within you; you can do anything and everything. Believe in that, do not believe that you are weak; do not believe that you are half-crazy lunatics, as most of us do nowadays. You can do anything and everything, without even the guidance of anyone. Stand up and express the divinity within you.’’
8. “Dare to be free, dare to go as far as your thought leads, and dare to carry that out in your life.”
9. “We are responsible for what we are, and whatever we wish ourselves to be, we have the power to make ourselves. If what we are now has been the result of our past actions, it certainly follows that whatever we wish to be in future can be produced by our present actions; so we have to know how to act.”
10. “Believe in yourself, and the world will be at your feet.”
Swami Vivekananda Quotes on Youth
Swami Vivekananda believed that today’s generation has the power to bring the change. In his life journey, he always has motivated youths. Below are a few of his thoughts that youth should follow.
1. ‘’Be a Hero. Always say, ‘I have no fear’’’.
2. ‘’True guidance is like a small torch in a dark forest; it doesn’t show everything once. But gives enough light for the next step to be safe.’’
3. ‘’You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you; none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your soul.’’
4. ‘’The world is the great gymnasium where we come to make ourselves strong.’’
5. ‘’Strength is life; Weakness is Death.’’
6. ‘’Supreme value of youth period is incalculable and indescribable. Youth life is the most precious life.’’
7. ‘’Education is the manifestation of the perfection already in man.’’
8. ‘’Man is born to conquer nature and not to follow it.’’
9. ‘’Youth means to place your firm confidence in yourself and exercise your hopeful determination and resolution and willing good intentions in this beautiful task of self-culture.’’
Swami Vivekananda Thoughts
Below we have curated some of the well-known thoughts of Swami Vivekananda that one should follow to lead a harmonious life.
1. “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your soul.”
2. “The great secret of true success, of true happiness, is this: the man or woman who asks for no return, the perfectly unselfish person, is the most successful.”
3. “Dare to be free, dare to go as far as your thought leads, and dare to carry that out in your life.”
4. “You cannot believe in God until you believe in yourself.”
5. “Comfort is no test of truth. Truth is often far from being comfortable.”
6. “Feel nothing, know nothing, do nothing, have nothing, give up all to God, and say utterly, ‘Thy will be done.’ We only dream of this bondage. Wake up and let it go.”
7. “To succeed, you must have tremendous perseverance, tremendous will. “I will drink the ocean,” says the persevering soul, “at my Will Mountains will crumble up.” Have that sort of energy, that sort of will; work hard, and you will reach the goal.”
Best Quotes in Hindi by Swami Vivekananda
Swami Vivekananda never under estimated his mother language-Hindi, he has shared many thoughts in Hindi as well.
- मुझे गर्व है कि मैं एक ऐसे धर्म से हूं, जिसने दुनिया को सहनशीलता और सार्वभौमिक स्वीकृति का पाठ पढ़ाया है। हम सिर्फ सार्वभौमिक सहनशीलता में ही विश्वास नहीं रखते, बल्कि हम विश्व के सभी धर्मों को सत्य के रूप में स्वीकार करते हैं।
- शिक्षा क्या है ? क्या वह पुस्तक-विद्या है ? नहीं। क्या वह नाना प्रकार का ज्ञान है ? नहीं, यह भी नहीं। जिस संयम के द्वारा इच्छाशक्ति का प्रवाह और विकास वश में लाया जाता है और वह फलदायक होता है, वह शिक्षा कहलाती है।
- किसी चीज से डरो मत । तुम अद्भुत काम करोगे । यह निर्भयता ही है जो क्षण भर में परम आनंद लाती है ।
- यही दुनिया है; यदि तुम किसी का उपकार करो, तो लोग उसे कोई महत्व नहीं देंगे। किन्तु ज्यों ही तुम उस कार्य को बंद कर दोगे, वे तुरन्त तुम्हें बदमाश प्रमाणित करने में नहीं हिचकिचायेंगे।
- तुम्हें कोई पढ़ा नहीं सकता, कोई आध्यात्मिक नहीं बना सकता। तुमको सब कुछ खुद अंदर से सीखना है। आत्मा से अच्छा कोई शिक्षक नही है। आपकी अपनी आत्मा के अलावा कोई दूसरा आध्यात्मिक गुरु नहीं है।
- ब्रह्माण्ड की सारी शक्तियां पहले से हमारी हैं. वो हमीं हैं जो अपनी आँखों पर हाँथ रख लेते हैं और फिर रोते हैं कि कितना अन्धकार है!
- अगर धन दूसरों की भलाई करने में मदद करे, तो इसका कुछ मूल्य है, अन्यथा, ये सिर्फ बुराई का एक ढेर है, और इससे जितना जल्दी छुटकारा मिल जाये उतना बेहतर है.
- हम वो हैं जो हमें हमारी सोच ने बनाया है, इसलिए इस बात का धयान रखिये कि आप क्या सोचते हैं. शब्द गौण हैं. विचार रहते हैं, वे दूर तक यात्रा करते हैं.
- यदि स्वयं में विश्वास करना और अधिक विस्तार से पढाया और अभ्यास कराया गया होता, तो मुझे यकीन है कि बुराइयों और दुःख का एक बहुत बड़ा हिस्सा गायब हो गया होता.
- वेदान्त कोई पाप नहीं जानता, वो केवल त्रुटी जानता है. और वेदान्त कहता है कि सबसे बड़ी त्रुटी यह कहना है कि तुम कमजोर हो, तुम पापी हो, एक तुच्छ प्राणी हो, और तुम्हारे पास कोई शक्ति नहीं है और तुम ये-वो नहीं कर सकते.
Swami Vivekananda’s Quotes on Knowledge
Swami Vivekananda was a trusty; he believed in sharing his knowledge to help others in any way that he could.
1. ‘’All human knowledge is but a part of religion’’.
2. ‘’All knowledge must stand on the perception of certain facts, and upon that, we have to build our reasoning’’.
3. ‘’Experience is the only source of knowledge’’.
4. Is there a greater strength than that of knowledge?
5. “The goal of mankind is knowledge . . . What man “learns” is really what he discovers by taking the cover off his soul, which is a mine of infinite knowledge.”
6. “If you have the knowledge and see a man weak, do not condemn him. Go to his level and help him if you can. He must grow.”
7. “You are the greatest book that ever was or ever will be, the infinite depository of all that is. Until the inner teacher opens, all outside teaching is in vain.”
8. “Knowledge is nothing but finding unity in the midst of diversity.”
9. “Knowledge can only be got in one way, the way of experience; there is no other way to know.”
10. The aim of education is to manifest in our lives the perfection, which is the very nature of our inner self
Quotes by Swami Vivekananda in Regional Language
Vivekananda has shared many quotations and thoughts in regional languages like Telugu and Marathi as well.
Quotes by Swami Vivekananda in Telugu
1. మనమెప్పుడూ లోపలికి చూసుకోం. బయటికే చూస్తాం. ప్రతి ఒక్కడూ ప్రపంచాన్ని మార్చడానికే సిద్ధపడతాడు. మార్చాల్సింది ప్రపంచాన్ని కాదు మనల్ని మనం మార్చుకోవాలి.
2. కొత్త అనుభవం ఎదురయినపుడు మనం అంతకుముందు ఏర్పరచుకున్న అభిప్రాయాల్ని పక్కన పెట్టి వాటిని సమీపించాలి. ఏ క్షణానికాక్షణం తాజాగా వుండాలి.ఎదుకంటే ఎప్పటికప్పుడు మనసుపై దుమ్ము పేరుకుంటూ వుంటుంది. మనదృష్టిని అడ్డగిస్తూ వుంటుంది. మనసు మసకబారకుండా వుండాలంటే నిత్య చైతన్యంతంతో వున్నపుడే వీలవుతుంది. అపుడే నువ్వు స్వచ్ఛంగా వుంటావు.
3. అహంతో అణువునైనా జయించలేము కానీ , ప్రేమతో ప్రపంచాన్ని జయించవచ్చు.
4. కోపం లో మాటలు తూలి ఇతరులుని దూరం చేసుకునే దానికన్నా క్షమించి దగ్గర చేసుకుంటే మీ శత్రువులు తగ్గుతారు మీరు హాయిగా ఉంటారు.
Swami Vivekananda Thoughts in Marathi
1. आपल्याला अशा शिक्षणपद्धतीची गरज आहे जे काळाला अनुसरून असेल.
2. जो अग्नी आपल्याला उब देतो तोच अग्नी आपल्याला नष्टही करू शकतो. पण हा अग्नीची दोष नाही. – स्वामी विवेकानंद
3. जी व्यक्ती गरीब आणि असहाय्य व्यक्तींसाठी अश्रू ढाळते ती महान आत्मा आहे. तसं नसेल तर ती दुरात्मा आहे. – स्वामी विवेकानंद
4. स्वतंत्र होण्याचं धाडस करा. जिथपर्यंत तुमचे विचार जात आहेत तिथपर्यंत जाण्याचं धाडस करा आणि ते तुमच्या रोजच्या जगण्यातही आणण्याचं धाडस करा.
Motivational Quotes by Swami Vivekananda
1. “You have to grow from the inside out. None can teach you, none can make you spiritual. There is no other teacher but your soul.”
2. “We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far.”
3. “All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.”
4. “Never think there is anything impossible for the soul. It is the greatest heresy to think so. If there is sin, this is the only sin, to say that you are weak, or others are weak.”
5. ‘’Ask nothing; want nothing in return. Give what you have to give; it will come back to you, but do not think of that now.”
6. ‘’Time is like a river. You can’t touch the same water twice because the flow that has passed will never pass again.’’
7. ‘’Come out into the broad light of day, come out from the little narrow paths, for how can the infinite soul rest content to live and die in small rut’’.
8. ‘’Astrology and all these mystical things are generally signs of a weak mind; therefore, as soon as they become prominent in our minds, we should see a physician, take good food, and rest.’’
9. ‘’Every act of Love brings happiness; no, Love does not bring peace and blessedness as its reaction.’’
10. ‘’He always thinks of himself as weak will never become strong, but he who knows himself to be a lion rushes out from the world’s meshes, as a lion from its cage.’’
Swami Vivekananda Quotes for Students
1. “Talk to yourself once in a day; otherwise, you may miss meeting an excellent person in this world.”
2. “All the powers in the universe are already ours. It is we who we have put our hands before our eyes and cry that it is dark.”
3. “The reason for every misunderstanding is that we see the people as we are but not as they are.”
4. “Do not wait for anybody or anything. Do whatever you can, build your hope on none.’’
5. “All knowledge that the world has ever received comes from the mind; the infinite library of the universe is in your mind.”
6. “Condemn none: if you can stretch out a helping hand, do so. If you cannot, fold your hands, bless your brothers, and let them go their own way.”
7. “In one word, this ideal is that you are divine.”
8. “Take risks in your life; if you win, you can lead! If you lose, you can guide!”
9. “The power of concentration is the only key to the treasure-house of knowledge.”
10. “Have faith in yourselves; great convictions are the mothers of great deeds.”
Swami Vivekananda Quotes on Success
1. “Take risks in your life; if you win, you can lead! If you lose, you can guide!
2. “If you think yourselves strong, strong you will be.”
3. “Stand up, be bold, and take the blame on your shoulders. Do not go about throwing mud at other; for all the faults you suffer from, you are the sole and only cause.”
4. “Whatever you believe, that you will be, if you believe yourselves to be ages, ages you will be tomorrow. There is nothing to obstruct you.”
5. “You are the creator of your destiny.”
6. ‘’Have faith in yourself – all power is in you. Even the poison of a snake is powerless if you can firmly deny it.”
7. ‘’When once you consider an action, do not let anything dissuade you. Consult your heart, not others, and then follow its dictates.’’
8. ‘’Don’t look back—forward, infinite energy, infinite enthusiasm, infinite daring, and infinite patience—then alone can great deeds be accomplished.’’
9. ‘’Stand up, be bold, be strong. Take the whole responsibility on your shoulders, and know that you are the creator of your destiny. All the strength and succor you want is within you. Therefore, make your future.’’
10. ‘’Fear is death, fear is sin, fear is hell, fear is unrighteousness, and fear is the wrong life. All the negative thoughts and ideas that are in the world have proceeded from this evil spirit of fear.’’
Swami Vivekananda Quotes on Love
1. ‘’All this is the manifestation of that One Love, more or less expressed.’’
2. ‘’Every step that has been really gained in the world has been gained by Love.’’
3. ‘’Love conquers in the long run.’’
4. ‘’If one would expand, he must love, and when he ceases to love, he dies.’’
5. ‘’Love is always mutual, reflective. You may hate me, and if I want to love you, you repulse me. But if I persist, in a month or a year, you are bound to love me. It is a well-known psychological phenomenon.’’
6. ‘’Love is the only form in which Love is loved.’’
7. ‘’Love must get to its right destination; it must go unto Him, who is the infinite ocean of Love.’’
8. “No great work can be achieved by humbug. It is through Love, a passion for truth, and tremendous energy that all undertakings are accomplished.”
9. “Strength is Life, Weakness is Death. Expansion is Life, Contraction is Death. Love is Life; Hatred is Death.
10. “Good Motive, Sincerity, and Infinite Love can conquer the world. One single soul possessed of these virtues can destroy the dark designs of millions of hypocrites and brutes.”
Swami Vivekananda was an Hindu monk who spread Hinduism in the western world. Throughout his life, he shared his thoughts in the form of quotations in different languages. His quotations work as a great source of motivation for students, youths, and everyone.
Swami Vivekananda’s slogan was ” Take up one idea.’’
Vivekananda said Jesus’ message was to follow the ideal and achieve it in your way.