Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is a group of 12 yoga poses practiced in a sequence. The experts say that if someone is doing 12 sets of Surya Namaskar, it turns to powerful 288 yoga poses. The duration of this yoga set is mere 12 to 15 minutes. If you ask, ‘Is Surya Namaskar for weight loss? ‘ Then, the answer is yes.
Therefore, we can say that these 12 Surya Namaskar poses are a power pack yoga workout that holds many benefits. In this blog, we will give details of each yoga pose or asana. So read the blog and follow the correct way to do Surya Namaskar. Further, we will also talk about the array of benefits that comes along.
12 Surya Namaskar Asanas and Yoga Poses for Weight Loss
1. Pranamasana (Prayer Pose)
Prayer pose is the first step of Surya Namaskar. This symbolically means to start the sun salutation with gratitude and thankfulness. Follow the steps as mentioned below:
- Spread the mat on a plain surface.
- Stand on the front edge of the mat.
- Stand straight on both legs.
- Keep the hands relaxed by your side.
- Take a deep breath and bring your hands together.
- Join your palm in prayer posture.
Advice: Keep your shoulder broaden and back straight to avoid posing pressure on your lower back.
2. Hastauttanasana (Raised Arms Pose)
The next asana requires you to stretch your arms and arch your back to loosen your upper body. Read the steps below to practice it rightly:
- Raise your hands up.
- Slowly arch your back backward.
- Stretch the back and inhale along.
Advice: While stretching, keep your biceps close to your ears. For proper stretching, push your heels to stretch your back properly.
3. Hastapadasana (Hand to Foot Pose)
Asana 3 of Surya Namskar is called hand to foot pose. This Surya Namaskar pose for weight loss is very effective. Read the steps below to follow the last pose and shift to the next:
- From the last pose, gradually bend down from the waist.
- Touch the floor with your palms.
- If you are a beginner, you can bend your keens to touch the floor.
Advice: The intention is not to touch the floor well, but to keep your back straight. That’s the reason why experts advise to bend the keens for beginners. With practice, you can touch the floor without bending your knees.
4. Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose)
The fourth asana focuses on stretching your thighs. This Surya Namaskar weight loss pose is effective in calorie loss. Follow the below-mentioned steps to execute this yoga pose correctly:
- Now push back your left leg as far as you can.
- The right leg should be on foot and straight with bend knees.
- Place your interlocked palm on your right knees.
- Keep your head straight and lookup.
- Focus on your breathing as it helps.
Advice: Stay in position with a straight upright posture. Focus on the inhale and exhale.
5. Dandasna (Stick Pose)
The fifth Surya Namaskar asana is called stick pose; it is similar to the plank pose. This targets the stomach and the back to help you lose weight during sun salutation. Go by the steps given below to follow the pose transition:
- Now bring your right leg backward too.
- Place both palms on the ground to balance the upper body.
- Take a deep breath.
- Keep your head straight and look forward.
Advice: Adjust your body posture like a stick that means your hips and chest should not be too high or too low.
6. Ashtanaga Namaskar (Salutation with Eight Parts of the Body)
Salutation with eight parts of the body is the sixth asana in the practice of Surya Namaskar for weight loss. Along with that, this pose helps relieve anxiety and stress. Read the steps below:
- From dandasna, gradually bring your knees on the ground.
- Lower the upper body and bring your chin, chest, and hands on the ground.
- Raise your hips upwards.
- Take a deep breath and stay in the position.
Advice: make sure all the body parts mentioned in the steps touch the floor and the back the stretched well. Focus on inhaling and exhaling as well.
7. Bhujangasna (Cobra Asana)
The seventh asana is called the Cobra asana. This is very effective for stretching the back and correcting the posture. This pose will relax you and bring relief for people who have long working hours sitting in one place. Follow the steps below for doing this pose correctly:
- Raise your chest by sliding forward.
- Keep your palm firmly on the floor.
- Push the pelvic lower to the floor.
- Look up to the sky or ceiling.
- Stay in this pose for a while.
Advice: Look up to avoid lower back pain. Take a deep breath and relax your body.
8. Adho Mukh Savana (Downward Facing Down)
Downward facing down is the next yoga pose out of 12 Surya Namaskar asana. This is an inverted V-shaped yoga pose that stretches the hamstrings muscles. It is one of the poses of Yoga for Hair Growth naturally. You can also read more about benefits of Surya Namaskar for hair. For this asana, follow the steps below:
- Lift the waist and hips.
- Keep the palm and legs firm on the ground.
- Keep your back straight.
- Preferably, keep your keens straight too, but you can bend it if it becomes painful.
Advice: It is not necessary to touch heals to the ground. With practice, you can keep your feet flatten on the ground in this asana.
9. Ashwa Sanchalanasana (Equestrian Pose)
The ninth asana is called Equestrian Pose. This is the same as the fourth asana, but you need to do it using the right leg. It stretches the back and corrects the posture. Follow the steps below:
- Push back your right leg and stretch it as far as possible.
- Keep the left leg bend on keens and firm on foot.
- Keep your hands on your left knees, keeping the palm interlocked.
- Look up and keep your face on the line of your body.
- Inhale and exhale and focus on breathing.
Advice: Try to draw your navel inwards while clenching your buttocks. This will help you stretch the back as well as the stomach and buttocks. It is an effective pose of Surya Namaskar for weight loss.
10. Hastapadasana (Hand to Foot Pose)
Raise arm pose is the same as asana third mentioned above. This step allows you to bend your body all the way down and works on your stomach and thighs, and back. Read the steps below to follow the steps:
- Take a deep breath.
- Bring your right leg in the front.
- Keep the legs straight.
- Touch the ground.
- Keeps your back straight while bending down.
Advice: Keep your thighs straight as this is among few yoga poses for strengthening hamstring muscle. Regular practice will make you touch the ground without bending the knees.
11. Hastauttanasana (Raised Arms Pose)
The second last asana is the raised arms pose. Here you have to stretch the entire body head to toe as done before. Follow these easy steps to execute this pose:
- Inhale and raise your hands.
- Stretch your body upwards.
- Bend your back and focus on breathing.
Advice: Keep your biceps close to your ears. The shoulders should be in the arch.
12. Tadasana (Palm Tree Pose)
The last asana is called Tadasana or Palm tree pose, which rests your body after all the above yoga poses.
- Exhale while bringing your hand down.
- Keep the palm outwards and relax.
Advice: It is recommended to do 12 sets of Surya Namaskar. Increase the number of sets gradually.
Benefits of Surya Namaskar for Weight Loss, Skin Glow, Diabetes, Hair
Surya Namaskar is an ancient yoga technique which is a compact set of 12 asanas. As we know, there are multiple benefits of yoga and meditation, so this yoga practice also gives a number of health benefits. Go through the list below to know all major benefits of doing Surya Namaskar regularly:
- Sun salutation or Surya Namaskar is useful for weight loss. A study says that if you practice this at in fast pace, you can lose 417 calories.
- It helps in blood circulation and good bowel moments, which results in glowing skin.
- It improves the enzyme release and helps to tackle the problem of diabetes.
- Some asana mentioned in the blog is useful in hair growth.
- It also brings relief to anxiety and stress because inhaling and exhaling are involved in every asana.
- It encourages good digestive flow that is a way to detox the body.
- It also increases sexual stamina while making the core active.
- It helps in strengthens the joints and muscles.
Surya Namaskar is a set of ancient yoga poses that are beneficial for overall health. There are 12 Surya Namaskar poses which you can do at your home or outdoors. Each pose targets different body parts and impacts the entire body.
Therefore, even if you are a beginner to yoga, you can practice Surya Namaskar and gradually evolve to perfection. In this blog, we have mentioned all the 12 poses in detail. We hope this would be helpful for you.
It is recommended to practice 12 sets of Surya Namaskar for weight loss. However the key to effectively lose weight is to do it every day.
Yes, Surya Namaskar is useful for weight loss if you do it at a fast pace.
It is said that you can lose one kg of weight if you do Surya Namaskar regularly.