With the increase in the price of everything around us, it is more difficult for the workers and the poor to earn their livelihood. Seeing the increase in the financial crises government of West Bengal came up with the unique scheme – Samajik Suraksha Yojana or SSY in the year 2017.
The Yojana aimed to provide social security to the un-organised sectors. To make this scheme successful, Fiennes Minister of West Bengal introduced 5 prominent schemes. These five schemes would lead to a reform for the unorganised sector in the state. Read More to know, what SSY is, benefits claims, and related FAQs.
What is Samajik Suraksha Yojana (SSY)
In 2017, the Government of Bengal introduced a Samajik Suraksha Yojana SSY to benefit all the workers that works under unorganised sector. The Department of Labour seeks to facilitate the fundamental rights to the workers. In addition the scheme aims to provide financial stability and monetary help during old age, disability, for up bring children and medical care.
Benefits of Samajik Suraksha Yojana
Following are the benefits of SSY that workers (unorganised-sector) would be able to avail:
- Provident fund is given to all the unorganised workers to provide financial help and stability.
- The Government of the West Bengal provides financial help to the children’s of the beneficiaries who are perusing higher education or to provide them training in safety and skill development.
- Labour department also provides health treatment facilities to the workers (unorganised sector) who have registered under this scheme.
5 Schemes under Samajik Suraksha Yojana or SSY
In order to eliminate the entire problem faced by the unorganised sector, the Government has come up with 5 new schemes in the year 2020. The schemes are follows:
- Bandhu Scheme – for Scheduled Caste.
- Jai Johar Scheme– for Scheduled Tribe.
- Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Scheme– for unorganised workers.
- Chaa Sundari- for tea garden workers.
- Hasir Alo- free electricity for the poorest.
1. Bandhu Scheme
This scheme aims to help community of Scheduled Caste (SC) living in the state. Beneficiaries who have registered under this scheme will get a regular pension. Senior citizens above 60 years of age will get an old-age pension of Rs. 1000 every month. For the financial years 2020-2021, the government gas allocated 2,500/- Crore.
2. Jai Johar Scheme
This scheme works in the favour of Scheduled Tribes (ST) AND Adivasi communities that leave in West Bengal. According to the Jai Johar scheme, West Bengal residents who fall under these two communities will get a monthly pension. This scheme is aimed to help approximately 4 lakh people. The beneficiaries should be above 60 years of age will get a pension of Rs 1,000 monthly. For this scheme the Government of West Bengal has allocated Rs. 500/- Crore for the Financial Year of 2020-2021.
3. Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana
Also, known as SSY free of cost scheme, this scheme is works in the benefit of all the workers that works in building construction department, transportation or other jobs that falls under unorganised sector would be provided compensation for disability or accidental death, medical health facilities, and their children would get financial aid for higher education.
In addition to this, the beneficiaries of SSY would also get a Provident Fund. They would have deposit Rs. 25 per month and the Government of West Bengal would deposit Rs. 30 every month. The workers can then withdraw the full amount along with the interest after 60 years of age, or after the death of the beneficiary of discontinuation of this scheme.
In the budget of Financial Year 2020-2021, the Finance Minister of the West Bengal announced that the Bina Mulya Samajik Suraksha Yojana would be effective from 1st March 2020. According to the updated scheme the Government would deposit both Rs. 25 and Rs. 30 respectively, which means the beneficiaries wouldn’t have to make any deposit. Thus, from 20th March 2020, the works of unorganised can reap the benefits of the scheme for free. This initiative of the Government is expected to be helpful for 1.5 Crore families living in West Bengal. For the same, the Government has allocated Rs. 500/corer this financial year.
4. Chaa Sundari
Chaa Sundari is one of its kind scheme that is introduced in the favour of tea gardeners. In West Bengal there are more than 3 lakh tea gardeners. Half of them are female workers and most of them are from the tribal community. The Government of West Bengal distributes 1 kg rice to tea gardeners at only Rs. 2. In addition to this, the Government of also provides free electricity, mid-day meal schemes for their children, medical help and many similar schemes.
Another benefit of the scheme is that permanent tea workers who are not able to construct their own house because of the financial constrain would be provided financial assistance from the Government for next three year. For this scheme the Government has allocated Rs. 500/ for the Financial Year of 2020-2021.
5. Hasir Alo
With the increase in the price of the electricity per unit, the Government of West Bengal is providing electricity at affordable prices. However, workers who are not able to pay even this are benefited with LifeLine Consumer Scheme, where the Government will give free electricity to all the beneficiaries whose quarterly electricity consumption is not more than 75 units. According to a recent data approximately 35 families would get benefit with this scheme.
For Hasir Alo Scheme government has allocated the whopping amount of Rs 200/corore for the financial year of 2020-2021.
Eligible Beneficiaries for Samajik Suraksha Yojana (SSY)
The Beneficiaries of SSY should be fulfilling the following criteria:
- The beneficiaries of the SSY should be resident of West Bengal.
- The age of the workers working under the unorganised sector should ve 18 years to 60 years.
- Building and construction and other similar workers that are engaged in Stone breaking, Brick Kiln, and crushing.
- Transport workers who fall under the West Bengal Transport Workers Social Security Scheme 2010.
- Workers who are registered under the Provident fund scheme are required to submit the form 1 to reap the benefits of SSY.
- Construction and Transport workers registered in the respective schemes would have to submit the application to earn the benefits of the SSY.
- Workers registered under Samajik Suraksha Yojana will be allotted Mukti Smart Card for availing respective befits of the scheme.
- The total income of the beneficiary and his/her family should not be more than Rs. 65 00 per month. However, transport and construction workers family income has no upper limit decided by the Government.
Documents Required to Be Part of SSY
The following are the necessary documents that applicant must submit along the form.
- Photo of the applicant
- Copy of Voter ID card
- Copy of Aadhaar card
- Bank passport copy
- Application (Form-1)
- Passbook issued under SASPFUW/BOCWA/WBTWSSS
- Identity card issued to the worker
- Dependency Passbook
Steps for Online Application Procedure
In order to apply for the SSY, the applicant has to follow the steps listed below.
- Visit the official website of West Bengal Labour Department and click on the screen of the homepage.
2 . Then click on the “Quick Application” tab on the next page.
3. Subsequently, SSY Common Application Form will be displayed and you would have to click either YES or NO.
4. Now enter all the details such as Registration Number, Father Name and Date of Birth.
5. Click on Submit and fill the entire form with correct details.
6. Then upload all the necessary documents and click Continue.
7. On the next page, you would have to fill the details of your nominee and upload all the required documents.
8. Then fill the Additional Affirmation Page with PF/ESI, employee type, income and bank details.
9. Click the Submit button.
10. After submitting the form you will receive an acknowledgment on the screen.
Procedure for Offline Application for SSY
There are certain steps that one should follow in order to register for Samajik Suraksha Yojana. The person has to make an application in the Form-1 to the inspector under the Labour Commissionerate or any officer authorised by the Labour Commissioner.
1. The applicant has to visit Municipal Corporation and approach Labour Commissionerate or Officer which is authorised by the Labour Commissioner.
2. The applicant either take the form from the officer and can download the application the form of the PDF from the official portal.
3. The applicant has to then fill the form with authentic details and all the required documents.
4. On filling the form, the applicant has to submit it to the respective officer.
5. Applicant should collect the application receipt for future user.
Steps to Track Application Status
- In order to track the status of your application go to SSDG website.
- Enter Unique Application ID and click on Search.
- Soon the application status would be displayed.
Steps to Track Claim
- In order to track your clack visits the official website of West Bengal Labour Department and then click on Track Claim.
- Enter all the details required and click on Send OTP.
- Enter the OTP and soon the status of your claim would be displayed.
In the year 2017, the Government of West Bengal has come up with the Samajik Suraksha Yojana SSY. The scheme would work in the favour of all the workers who fall under the unorganised category.
The Samajik Suraksha Yojana is designed for the unorganised sector of West Bengal. According to this scheme, they fill get financial and necessary help from the Government.
You can either visit the official website of West Bengal Labour Department and fill the form online or collect a form from the Labour Commissionerate or any officer authorised by the Labour Commissioner.
Visit the official website of West Bengal Labour Department and click on Login. Then enter username along with password and click Login button.