Teething is a crucial period; it is a time when your baby gets his first tooth. Generally, an infant gets first teeth during 2-6 months of his birth, and it continues till your baby turn one. While teething is an important phase, it can be quite painful for the baby. Since your baby is quite young to tell you about his first tooth eruptions and problems he is going through, it’s your responsibility to figure out your baby teething problems and ways to comfort him/her. Make sure you visit the pediatrician regularly in order to keep a check on your babies’ health. To help you know about the teething in detail, below we have listed symptoms and necessary steps that you should take.
Symptoms and Signs of Teething
- Drooling increases.
- The child gets restless and cranky.
- Discomfort in the gum.
- Bringing his/her hands to the mouth to indicate the problem.
- Mild rashes around the mouth may appear due to drooling and skin irritation.
- A slight temperature can mark the problem.
- Change in eating sleeping patterns of the baby.
- The baby may ask to chew hard things.
- Sensitive red gums.
Above listed are common symptoms and signs of teething. Problems like severe rashes around the mouth, higher fever, vomiting, diarrhea, congestion, and cough are not associated with teething. If your baby suffers from all these problems, consult your doctor immediately.
Ways to Soothe a Teething Baby
1. Cold and Pressure
This is one of the ideal remedies for teething. It will numb the ache, and the pressure will help to treat the inflammation in the gum. Moreover, during teething, infants want to gnaw hard things to comfort themselves. For this method, you can use a clean and cold washcloth, frozen spoon, or a teething ring. Make sure all the object are clean and does not have any harmful toxins. Also, do not keep these objects in a baby’s mouth for a longer period.
2. Teething Toys
Teething toys are specifically designed to curb all the problems an infant face during teething. The toys are safe and have no toxins. You can buy teething toys from online stores like FirstCry and MamaEarth. Both online stores have a wide range of teething toys; you can select the best according to your baby’s condition and his/her age. If you want to save some money, you can apply coupons on FirstCry while shopping online. You can consider silicone teething rings, wooden teethers to soothe your teething baby.
3. Home Remedies
There is no permanent solution to cure the symptoms of teething, but you can treat the inflammation and redness with a few home remedies such as Rosehip and chamomile. Rosehip is a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. You can prepare rosehip tea for your baby. Similarly, chamomile soothes the irritation and temporarily treats the pain. It will also calm your baby’s body, helping him to sleep timely. You can either prepare chamomile tea or can directly massage it over the gum.
4. Boost Immune System
Though the immune system and teething do not have a direct relationship, most of the babies have a slight temperature, upset stomach, runny nose or cold during the teething. All these problems can be treated by regularly breastfeeding your baby. Breast milk has maximum antibodies that strengthen the immune system. Alternatively, provide your baby with a sufficient amount of Vitamin D and baby probiotics to boost the immune system.
5. Massage Sore Gums
Massaging sore gums is one of the best remedies for teething. Parents can massage inflamed gums with a clean finger, and if the tooth has not come by now, you can allow him to bite your finger. This practice is similar to cold and pressure therapy. Do not keep your finger in baby’s mouth for a longer duration
Other Things to Be Taken Care During Your Baby Teething
- Many advertisements promote a teething necklace as a remedy to comfort baby teething. However, it could be hazardous as it can choke him/her, or he might swallow the beads.
- Do not give over the counter teething gel and medicines to your baby. The ingredients present in such medicines are not ideal for kids below age 2.
- Add fluoride in your baby’s diet as soon he/she crosses six months. It will prevent tooth decay and cavity.
- As soon as your baby has teeth eruption, you should start brushing it twice a day with fluoride toothpaste. Also, do not put your baby in the bed with a bottle. It is not good for his/her oral health.
- Visit a dentist as soon as your baby gets teeth.
An average baby gets his/her first tooth during his/her 4-7 months. Some kids may get it before and later. It’s always good to consult the pediatrician and get your baby’s oral health monitored regularly. Once the teething began, your baby will become fussier, and this time when he needs you the most. To help you in this blog, we have curated all the symptoms and remedies to soothe a baby teething.